My mother's recipe. She calls the recipe as 'Brinji'. This is something different taste and for people who do not like from upma will surely like this style. I used to hate rava upma, but this method of rava upma tastes really good. If there is a time crunch in the morning and we have to take lunch to work. This is a very fast, easy and tasty recipe. I tried it today and came out well. Thanks to amma:-)
Rava 1 cup
Peas 2 Tb spoon
Tomato 1 nos
Onion 2 Tb spoon
Green chilli 2 nos
Water 2 cups
Sambar powder 2 tsp(secret ingredient)
Salt to taste
Ghee to taste
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Urad dhal 1 tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
- Fry the rava till golden brown and keep aside.
- In a pan pour a 2 tsp of oil and add mustard seeds, urad dhal, jeera and allow it to splutter.
- Add the onions, green chilli and fry till it turns transparent
- Add tomato, peas and till cooked
- Add water, salt, sambar powder and allow it to boil
- Add the rava slowly and keep stirring simultaneously
- Keep closed and cook for 5 min (stir in-between)
- Add 2 tsp of ghee for good taste and smell..
- Upma is ready to serve.
Alternative: you can also add 2 tsp of curd to the recipe for a different taste.