Kootu podi can be prepared and kept as many days required. You just need to boil the required vegetable and dhal, then add thiskootu powder and season with all required items also we can add a little coconut for taste.
1/2 cup of channa Dhal or Pottu kadalai
1 cup of Urad dhal
2 tbl spoon of pepper corns
5 -8 dried green chillies
2 tsp of salt
- In a pan add the channa dhal and fry until golden brown- remove and keep aside
- Next, add the urad dhal and curry leaves and fry till golden brown .
- Fry the pepper corns for 2-3 minutes.
- To dry the green chillies: you can microwave for 2-3 min, till it becomes dry
- Add the salt in the pan and fry for 1/2 min. (To remove wetness)
- Now combine all the ingredients(Channa dhal,urad dhal,green chilli,pepper corns,curry leaves and salt).
- Grind into smooth powder and store in a container.
Boil the vegetable required for kootu and keep aside.(Chow chow or mixed vegetable or any vegetable as you wish).
Boil the dhal (toor dhal or moong dhal) and mix 2-3 spoons of kootu powder.
Add required amount of salt and mix vegetable,dhal and kootu powder well.
1 spoon of coconut can be added (optional)
In a pan add 1 tsp of oil,mustard seeds,curry leaves and allow to splutter.
Mix along with the vegetable and dhal and serve with rice or roti.