After a long time, I am back with a desert. I got this recipe from my colleague and tried out everything from scratch.
3 cups of whole milk
3 spoons of lemon juice
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
For the Ras
3 1/2 cup of milk(I used 2% Reduced fat milk)
10 spoons of sugar
A pinch of Safforn
Cardomom powder 1 tsp
Method to make malai
- Boil the 3 cups of whole milk. keep stirring making sure it does not burn in the bottom.
- Once it comes to boil, add the lemon juice and stir slowly
- Once the milk is separated, drain in a muslin cloth and separate the malai(paneer).
- Squeeze the excess water from the paneer.
- Mash the paneer well and make it a flat and round shape.
- Boil 2 cups of water and add sugar to it make a sugar syrup.
- Add the paneer balls in the hot water and keep the lid closed for 15 minutes.(Keep the gas in medium flame).
- Place the malai in a broad vessel, it will puff up after boling them.
- Boil the 3 1/2 cups of milk , Keep stirring and see to that it does not stick to the bottom.
- Boil the milk for approx 25 minutes until it condenses and turns into light pink color.
- Add the saffron, cardomom and sugar and stir well.
- Add the boiled malai from the sugar syrup and add into the Ras.
- Chill the Rasmalai for couple of hours.
- Serve chilled.
Rasmalai goes to Srivalli's Mithai mela.