We were thinking either to make Rajma or Chole. My mother said Chole will soak faster than Rajma. Hence we put Chole to soak only in the morning.My mother and I decided to make some Chole for dinner.
Here goes the recipe.
2 cups of soaked Channa (garnbanzo beans)
2 tea spoon Punjabi chole masala
1 tea spoon Coriander powder
1 tea spoon Anardhana powder (optional)
1 tea spoon Chilli powder
1 tea spoon Jeera
Oil 2 teas spoon
2 tea bags
Salt to taste
Onion and lemons to garnish
- Soak garbanzo beans for 4-5 hours
- In a pressure cooker add 2 tea bags,2 cups of water and soaked beans and give it 2-3 whistles to cook.
- In a pan add 2 tea spoon oil and Jeera and allow it to splutter.
- Add the cut onions, salt and let it become golden brown.
- Grind the tomato and add the tomato puree with the onion and allow it cook
- Add the masala's (Chole masala,chilli powder,coriander powder,anardhana powder) and mix well.
- Once the oil start separating from the gravy,
- Add the cooked beans and also use the dark water in which the beans was cooked. Add everything and allow it to cook for 5 -10 minutes till it becomes thick.
- Garnish with cut onions and lemon.
- Serve hot with Roti or Batura.
I will soon try out the masala at home and post the recipe.
Tea bags are used to bring the dark color for punjabi chole. It gives a nice color and taste.