Thursday, January 29, 2009
Bhogi special recipe...
for the stuffing:
1 cup of channa dhal
1 cup of Jaggery
Cardomon to taste
for the dough:
1/2 cup of maida
1/2 cup of wheat flour
3/4 cup oil
Little water to knead the dough.
1 tsp turmeric powder or kesari color.
A pinch of salt
Method to make the dough:
In a basin- add the maida,wheat flour,oil color and a pinch of salt and knead the dough well with little water. Keep aside and let the dough soak for 2hrs minimum.
For the filling:
Presurre cook the channa dhal and then grind and mash well.
In a pan, now add the jaggery, cardomon powder to the dhal and mix well till it becomes a thick paste.
Method to make the poli:
Once the dough is soaked well.
Take a small piece of the dough and stuff with the puran filling and spread it in a round shape like chapathi.
Place the rolled poli stuffed with puran in a medium heated stove.
Spread ghee on both sides and keep pressing it while on stove on both the sides.
This will allow the poli to become soft.
Enjoy eating it hot.
Kootu podi can be prepared and kept as many days required. You just need to boil the required vegetable and dhal, then add thiskootu powder and season with all required items also we can add a little coconut for taste.
1/2 cup of channa Dhal or Pottu kadalai
1 cup of Urad dhal
2 tbl spoon of pepper corns
5 -8 dried green chillies
2 tsp of salt
- In a pan add the channa dhal and fry until golden brown- remove and keep aside
- Next, add the urad dhal and curry leaves and fry till golden brown .
- Fry the pepper corns for 2-3 minutes.
- To dry the green chillies: you can microwave for 2-3 min, till it becomes dry
- Add the salt in the pan and fry for 1/2 min. (To remove wetness)
- Now combine all the ingredients(Channa dhal,urad dhal,green chilli,pepper corns,curry leaves and salt).
- Grind into smooth powder and store in a container.
Boil the vegetable required for kootu and keep aside.(Chow chow or mixed vegetable or any vegetable as you wish).
Boil the dhal (toor dhal or moong dhal) and mix 2-3 spoons of kootu powder.
Add required amount of salt and mix vegetable,dhal and kootu powder well.
1 spoon of coconut can be added (optional)
In a pan add 1 tsp of oil,mustard seeds,curry leaves and allow to splutter.
Mix along with the vegetable and dhal and serve with rice or roti.
Friday, January 16, 2009
My mother-in-law taught me few podi's for easy use. Here is one among them.
We can grind this powder and keep it for many days. On the day of mixing the rice, just boil tamrind water and season with all ingredients as mentioned below.
1 cup Channa dhal
2 cup Dhania (Coriander seeds)
2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 cup Jeera
Required red chillies- (I added 1/2 cup of long red chillies)
1 cup ground nut
1 cup til
1. Fry all the above ingredients till the raw smell goes
2. Grind them into fine powder and store it as many days required.
To prepare puliyogare rice we need,
2 cups rice
2 tbl spoon Tamrind paste
4-5 Spoons of puliyogare powder grounded.
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad dhal
1 tsp Channa dhal
1 tsp Ground nuts
1 tsp Curry leaves
2 tbl spoon oil
Salt to taste
- Boil rice and keep aside.
- In a pan add the oil and allow all the seasoning and allow them to splutter and become golden brown.
- Add the tamrind paste and 1/2 cup water and allow to boil till raw smell goes
- Add the 4-5 spoons ground puliyogare powder and salt.
- Stir well till it becomes thick paste and switch off the stove.
- Add the rice and mix well.
- Serve hot with papads.
Thursday, January 1, 2009
Happy New Year 2009.
1 cup badam (Almonds)- Ground paste
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 tbl spoon ghee
Method[Keep the flame low]
1. Soak the almonds for 1 hour in hot water and peel the skin.
2. Grind the almond with 1/4 cup milk into a smooth paste.
3. The ground paste should measure 1 cup.
4. In a pan add the sugar and 1/4 milk and boil till the sugar melts well.
5. Add the ground almond paste into the sugar and keep stirring.
6. Keep the flame in low and keep stirring until it does not stick in the pan.
7. Add 1 tbl spoon of ghee and keep stirring.
8. Once the mixture separates from the pan then remove from the stove and spread it in a greased plate.
9. Cut into shapes after two min.
10. Badam burfi is ready:-)
You can add color if required and badam essence if required.
Have a wonderful year ahead:-)